Leadership Development Course
The Minnesota Local Section of the American Chemical Society is pleased to announce an upcoming Leadership Development Course: Engaging Colleagues in Dialogue
Facilitator: Larry Krannich , Professor Emeritus, Chemistry, University of Alabama at Birmingham
With the speed at which we move, we are used to sending a brief text, or responding with a quick email, often communicating in shorthand. While this works in social situations, it leaves us open to misunderstanding when working on a school assignment, a work project, or a research study. In these situations, misunderstandings can have disastrous results, leading to projects getting derailed, inefficiencies, misinformation being sent out, and missed deadlines.
Communication underlies everything we do and has a direct correlation to the success of a project. It is one of the most basic and important skills we need to be successful in school, on the job, and in volunteer situations.
Engaging Colleagues in Dialogue is a four-hour, hands-on interactive course that helps you develop your one-to-one communication skills. You will learn how to improve both sides of the communication exchange: first working to understand how to better communicate your messages and second, working on listening and acknowledging others messages. You will even have an opportunity to assess your own communications skills through conversations with colleagues.
- Learn that good communicatoin is truly a two-way street. Without solid understanding and practice, your ocmmunications can lead to misunderstandings.
- Track your own communication skills prior to the workshop, and examine ho wyou performed on the six dimensions of the communications model.
- Learn three skills that will help you to understand the other person's intended message better, versus relying on your own interpretation.
- Learn three skills to help you be better understood.
- Gain real-life practice and individual advice on what to focus on to improve your conversations.
When: Saturday, October 7th, 2017 from 8 am - noon
Where: Hampton Inn and Suites, 2860 Metro Drive, Bloomington, MN 55425
Cost: $5 (Majority of the funding for this course is provided by an ACS Leadership Development System(TM) Grant)
To register send an email with your name and contact information to Becky Guza at email@example.com by September 22nd.
*Space is limited to the first 25 people that register.