|« Back to calendar||« Previous Event | Next Event »|
The next Senior Chemists lunch will be Thursday, October 5th at 11:30 am at the Green Mill Restaurant in St. Paul on Hamline and Grand Avenues, in their private room. Parking is on the street or in their parking lot 50 yards west on Grand Avenue on the north side.
Our program will be a discussion rather than a talk. Truman Schwartz, retired from the Macalester College chemistry faculty, will lead the discussion at our meeting. He has provided the following description:
"All chemists, retired or still practicing and no matter what trajectories their careers have followed, have had extensive exposure to chemistry education. As a retired academic, I hope that most of that exposure was informative, enjoyable, and valuable. But I am enough of a realist to know that some of it, was not. I invite you all to reflect on your education in chemistry and answer the following questions. I am not suggesting that you write out your answers, but at least come to our luncheon meeting prepared to discuss your responses. In every case, please consider your secondary, undergraduate, graduate, and informal education.
1. When did you first become interested in chemistry and what stimulated that interest?
2. When and why did you decide to concentrate on chemistry and follow a career in the discipline?
3. What did you learn in the various stages of your education that proved to be especially valuable in your subsequent career? Please consider such factors as course content, pedagogy, laboratory work, textbooks and other resources, skills acquired, etc.
4. In retrospect, what about your formal education now seems to have been a waste of time?
5. What do you wish that you had learned in the formal education process that would have been particularly valuable in your career?
Your responses could provide useful suggestions for colleagues who are still actively teaching at the various academic levels, and perhaps we will be able to pass on some of your insights."
All are welcome, including anyone who has never lunched with this group before, spouses or guests. You don't have to be retired to come! RSVP to Lynn at firstname.lastname@example.org by Octover 2nd. We order from the menu.